Title: Teacher Intern
Category (cf Policy 5.101) Honorarium/Stipend
Reports to: Principal
Department: Faculty Staff
We are currently seeking qualified Teacher Intern – 2 Positions
Summary of the role
The work experience program provides Tanzanian young adults who aspire to work in education with the opportunity to gain skills, experience, and training towards a future career. Work experience participants observe and assist in Individuals and Societies and English classrooms while gaining exposure to an international school setting. They are provided with training and mentorship to work with students in a classroom setting under the guidance of a lead teacher or teachers. In addition to classroom experience, the participants gain valuable experience working in a cross-cultural setting with students, parents, and teachers from around the world. During the internship period, the Teacher Intern will be required to work as a substitute/cover teacher in the absence of a regular teacher to aid students in understanding a subject matter, as well as to provide skills required for programmed lessons and purposeful training for the classroom he/she is assigned.
Upon completion (1 year) of the work experience program, the participant is eligible to apply for a traineeship in which trainees continue interning at the school while pursuing teaching qualifications at an international recognized institution in a bursary model supported by the school. Traineeships are limited and highly competitive.
● Assists in creating a learning environment where students can experience growth and develop their full potential;
● Works with students to support their needs on an individual and/or small group basis;
● Maintains and respects confidentiality of student and school personnel information;
● Maintains discipline and classroom control that fosters a safe and positive learning environment for all students and staff in accordance with school policies;
● Ensures the adequate supervision to assure health, welfare, and safety of all students;
● Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities;
● Assists with the general preparation and organization of supplies and teaching materials;
● Supports the supervision of students in and out of classroom activities during the school day;
● Works as a proactive team member while developing and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues, students, and parents;
● Establishes effective communication with colleagues, students, and parents
● Participates in curriculum and staff development opportunities as required;
● Maintains a high level of professional competence through in-service education and professional growth activities;
Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects as requested by the Principal.
● A University degree in Education with specialization in Psychology and Sociology or English with a GPA of not less than 4.5
Skills, Competencies and Experience
● Tanzanian Citizen
● Age: 20 – 28 years old
● No Criminal Record
● Exhibits patience and empathy when dealing with students
● Communicates and plans in a positive, collaborative manner
● Willing and enthusiastic to learn teaching and learning approaches and methods
● Supervise students outside of the classroom in an active manner.
● Work with the administration to help foster a positive school culture
● Contribute to school initiatives, such as working committees, extra-curricular activities, assemblies, school events.
● Computer literacy is required, including experience with business software including Microsoft Office and online
communications tools for meetings and webinars
● Demonstrated ability to read, write and speak fluent English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of any additional language is added advantage
● Interest in other cultures and appreciation of diversity
Interns shall receive a monthly honorarium/stipend and health insurance. Accommodation and transportation will not be covered.
Particulars of the Search
Prospective interns need to be formally apply for this program. Applicants should submit a letter (in English) describing her/his fit and interest in the position along with an up-to-date curriculum vitae. The names, addresses and contact details of three (3)
MODE OF INETERNSHIP APPLICATION
How to Apply
Applications and enquirers should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach by Friday, 03 May 2019.