Communications and Public Relations Manager
Purpose of the position:
To provide technical support to World Vision Tanzania’s (WVT) image building initiatives in developing, managing and maintaining partner relations and development. This also involves developing and disseminating key communications resources for marketing, grant acquisition, public awareness and management of emergencies.
Under the overall guidance of the National Director with matrix supervision of the Regional Communications Director, the Communications Manager supervises the communications team as well as composes, edits, and manages the production of a full range of material to effectively support the advancement goals of the Business Development and Quality Assurance Unit to market WVT’s mission and achievements to diverse publics for the aim of seeking grants.
The incumbent will lead and supervise remotely the work of WVT Senior Communications Officers. He/she will also be expected to collaborate with WVT at the clusters level, WV Support Offices and media to communicate development results of the grants and non-grant portfolios.
The incumbent will also observe the mission and core values of World Vision and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that is an example to others.
- Build and generate high-quality evidence-based documentation
- Collaborate with relevant colleagues to plan, coordinate and develop original communications materials and publications for grant-acquisition, for special initiatives and events, to showcase best practices and programs
- Develop content and review and edit drafts of diverse publications, prepare information brochures and factsheets; draft articles and re-package reports to communicate the achievements of major initiatives for distribution to partners, donors, prospects, and the general public. Also draft speeches, position papers and the flagship annual reports
- Produce transformational stories of project activities as per SO request and for use for internal and external platforms such as wvi.org/tanzania, newsletter, intranet and where appropriate social media, blogs, twitter in addition, take photos of project activities.
- Communications strategy planning and execution
- Develop a communications and marketing strategy that will guide World Vision Tanzania in its external relations and internal communications
- Develop and deliver the communications department annual operating plan
- Organizational visibility, media relations
- Develop and sustain effective relationships with media at all levels to engage more effectively on issues of children and their development
- Ensure development of advocacy oriented communications to support advocacy campaigns, increase public discussion and fund-raising initiatives
- Capacity building of non-communicators
- Build capacity on communications of WVT grant projects non-communicators (on documentation and success story telling of the projects)
- Provide orientation on child protection communications standards
- Emergency communications
- Plan and manage communications response to both slow and rapid-onset emergency disaster/relief situations ensuring that the region is provided with quality stories, photos and media interviews from the field
- Manage staff and the Communications department
- Manage team members, facilitate their optimum performance and provide a motivating and supportive environment to the team
- Be responsible for planning, budgeting, and reporting around communications
- Ensure brand visibility and enforce quality and standards
- Work with communications department to ensure consistency and compliance with WVT branding guidelines for all project related communication materials and products
- Respond to any other requests from National Director, Business Development Director
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
Minimum Qualification required: Masters in marketing, journalism, development or corporate communication/public relations.
Experience: 5 to 7 years working experience. Proven track record in the effective use of marketing and communications for fund-raising
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of oral and written communications and interpersonal relations skills in order to determine the most effective communications and presentation materials
- Professional level skills in publications development with writing and editing experience preferably with a non-profit organization
- Skill in writing for a variety of audiences. Skill in writing and editing news and feature articles. Ability to write/edit in a variety of writing styles, ability to draft materials on a wide range of topics. Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Familiarity of fund-raising techniques including, proposal writing and public relations
- The ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into language easily comprehensible to non-specialists
- Photographic and video skills also preferred
- High level of confidence and confidentiality
- Ability to use a variety of personal computer software applications, including desktop publishing
- Working Environment / Conditions:
- Work environment: Office-based in Dar Es Salaam with frequent travel
Travel: 20% local travel is required
On call: 5%