The Network of English Language Enhancement (ELE_net) is part of the Office of the Provost. It was established to provide effective solutions for the enhancement of English language skills across AKU.
ELE_net functions as a distributed network. This means that it works closely with other parts of the University to identify English language needs and find effective solutions. ELE_net is directly involved in designing and delivering English courses. It also works with internal and external partners to do this.
Aga Khan University invites applications for the position of Specialist, ELE_net.
You will be responsible for:
- teaching on a variety of courses established to enhance English language skills within and outside AKU
- designing English languages courses in face-to-face, blended or online formats that are fit for purpose for relevant client groups
- assessing and providing feedback to learners as appropriate for the courses taught
- carrying out needs analyses to identify English language requirements of client groups
- working with client groups to establish appropriate provision for English language enhancement
- sourcing or developing appropriate assessment tools for the specific needs of different client groups
- playing a leading role in the development of quality assurance and enhancement systems to monitor and improve the quality of the English language services provided
- playing a leading role in the implementation of the mechanisms set up to monitor and improve the quality of the English language provision
- providing individual and small group consultations for a variety of client groups
- reviewing and improving courses taught on an on-going and periodic basis.
You should have:
- a recognised qualification in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- a Master degree in English Language or Applied Linguistics from HEC recognized or reputable foreign university/institution
- experience of coordinating English language programmes and a minimum of five years’ TESOL experience, preferably gained in a higher education context
- up to date knowledge of TESOL methodologies and practice
- highly effective teaching skills, including an ability to employ a range of delivery techniques and assessment methods
- high level of awareness and knowledge of the language and skills needed in an English medium university for successful communication in academic and professional contexts
- good understanding of quality assurance requirements in higher education and English language teaching contexts
- excellent time management and planning skills with a proven ability to manage competing demands effectively, responsibly and without close support
- ability to work effectively as part of a team, and to establish and develop effective working relations with AKU academic departments and professional services
- high level of competence in English language (equivalent to at least a high C1 in the Common European Framework of Reference), particularly in academic and professional contexts
- ability and willingness to use digital technology and devices for teaching, learning and administrative purposes
- willingness to teach outside normal office hours (early evenings and weekends) if needed
- willingness to travel within East Africa and, if required, to other AKU campuses.
Please send your CV and a cover letter detailing how you meet the job requirements to email@example.com. Please mark the subject with position number “10027705”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Applications should be submitted latest by May 28, 2019.