The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 13 teaching sites in 8 countries. It is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for and in countries in East Africa.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery (SONAM) invites applications for the following position based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania:
A bright, efficient, helpful and pleasant person who will report to the Academic Head, School of Nursing and Midwifery (SONAM). The Administrative Assistant will provide secretarial support and manage administrative duties for the School of Nursing and Midwifeiy in Tanzania.
- Effectively manage the work schedule/calendars, ensuring regular communication to all concerned for the Academic Head, Tanzania.
- Work closely with the Academic Head’s office in allocation of office resources, space, equipment and supplies
- Perform basic office administrative duties assigned including photocopying and meeting minute taking
- Manage phone calls and correspondences (emails, letters, packages etc)
- Maintain log for outgoing long-distance and international calls and a register for all outgoing calls. Create a monthly report.
- Drafting memos, letters, emails and other general correspondence
- Organizing day to day activities in the office of the Academic Head
- Provide secretarial support to the faculty members; Filing and record keeping of all important correspondences
- Schedule venues for meetings and workshops; and other related logistics?
- Coordinate and arrange travel, accommodation and ground transportation for visitors, faculty and staff according to University policies
- Manage petty cash for office-related expenses
- Coordinate catering services as required
- Ensure timely reimbursements for travel related expenses
- Efficient and timely management of all physical and electronic files
- Coordinate a timely maintenance and servicing of facilities such as machines &: equipment, building and furniture maintenance etc. are effectively and efficiently executed in liaison with respective departments such as Engineering, ICT, Outsourced Vendors, etc.
- Maintain an updated inventory for supplies and facility assets
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by your supervisor
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma in secretarial studies or Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field with a minimum of 3 to 5 years’ working in a secretarial support role
- Proven competence in working with Microsoft Office Software
- Excellent communication skills including written and oral English
- Attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
- A good understanding of working across multiple time zones
- A high sense of integrity and confidentiality
- Sensitivity and ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
Please send your application package which should include; an application letter, an updated CV and contact information of two professional references, addressed to the Human Resources Office, AKU, PO. Box 125, Dai’ es Salaam; Fax (+255) (0)22 2150875 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications close: 5th June 2019