UONGOZI Institute seeks to inspire leaders and promote the recognition of the important role of leadership in sustainable development within Africa. Located in the President’s Office, United Republic of Tanzania, UONGOZI Institute provides training to leaders from Tanzania and beyond, organises high-level policy forums and dialogues, and carries out research on leadership and sustainable development.
UONGOZI Institute is currently seeking to recruit a Communications Manager.
The successful candidate will lead and contribute to the Communication Unit’s activities in order to realise UONGOZI Institute’s strategic communication goals, thereby supporting the Institute’s vision, mission and goals. Primarily this will involve knowledge sharing, networking and the promotion of UONGOZI Institute’s activities.
The Communications Manager reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and supervises the Communications Officer, The Communications Manager also recruits and supervises consultants and subcontractors to support the Unit’s activities.
Key Requirements of the Position
This senior role includes:
- Developing and implementing the Communications Strategy and evaluating the outputs from this Strategy. Developing and monitoring the budget for the Communication Unit.
- Providing guidance to the CEO, Board Members and Staff on issues relating to stakeholder relations.
- Supporting the CEO, Executive Education and Research and Policy Departments, as well as the Resource Center in delivering stakeholder communications.
- Developing, supporting, monitoring, and evaluating public relations and stakeholder materials. This includes the content and structure of Institute’s website; social media interaction; media releases; videos – including for TV production; speeches, reports and promotional materials, and responding to requests for information.
- Overseeing and coordinating the communications aspect of events.
- Proactively maintaining and building networks to enhance the reach of the Institute. Representing UONGOZI Institute at functions and exhibitions.
- Monitoring and evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of the Communication Unit. This includes assessing workloads, ensuring deadlines are met, detecting areas for improvement and initiating them.
- Editing all reports, briefs, etc. for publication to ensure that the material is suitable for the intended audience. The duties include reviewing copy to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax, and ensuring gender sensitivity.
- Ensuring that there is consistency of the identity and style of the Institute’s official documents and that the Institute’s communication guidelines are adhered to by all Staff.
- Keeping abreast with international trends and developments in communications generally; then assessing the potential for adopting these trends for use within the Institute’s Communication Unit.
Relevant summarised extracts of information disseminated at appropriate intervals to key stakeholders.
Key stakeholders (including UONGOZI Staff) aware of the Institute’s products and services.
UONGOZI Institute’s mediums for information regularly updated and current.
UONGOZI Institute’s brand enhanced and maintained.
Skills and Competencies Required
- Excellent communications skills with up-to-date knowledge of the principles and methods used in the design, implementation and evaluation of communication related activities. Open to learning and embracing new methods and techniques. Member of a professional communications body/organisation.
- Creative thinker, with the ability to sense issues and potential problems, as well as take initiative.
- Possessing business acumen and having an analytical mind. Able to exercise sound judgement.
- Able to carry out detailed work under sometimes demanding deadlines. Able to work on several concurrent tasks.
- Attentive to details. Sound knowledge of proper written and spoken English and Swahili.
- Able to lead and work within a team environment. Able to establish effective working relationships with a diverse and multi-cultural environment of stakeholders.
- Able to conduct oneself professionally, interacting with tact and diplomacy with leaders from the political, government and international environment. Sensitive to potential and existing issues of concern of stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree in Public Relations, Marketing or Communications.
Five years’ work experience in a reputable institution at a comparable level of responsibility. Experience of working in a foreign environment or for an organisation with extensive international interaction is essential.
UONGOZI Institute offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Please note that this position requires occasional travel within and outside of Tanzania. There will also be some occasions when you will be required to work during the evening or weekend.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their application, comprising of application letter, a detailed Curriculum Vitae, contact details for three referees and copies of certificates to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer
62 Msasani Road, Oyster Bay
P.O. Box 105753, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Phone:+255 (0) 22 260 2917
OR through Email (email@example.com), with subject line “COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER”.
Deadline for Receiving Applications: Sunday, 9th June, 2019
Note: This position is being re-advertised, previous applicants need not re-apply.
UONGOZI Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We regret that we will not be able to contact unsuccessful applicants.