Application deadline 2019-07-11
Contribute to guest satisfaction and ensure daily consistency in quality, delivery, portions and presentation of your product. Cooks represent the Executive chef and Kijijibeach and comply with the following primary responsibilities
- Prepare food consistently as per chef’s specifications
- Respect individual wishes and prepare food as per clients’ culture or desire
- Comply with all hygiene, safety and conservation regulations
- Respect food cost standards and avoid unnecessary spoilage
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Prepare your kitchen
- Before your guest is at your table, you must be ready for any usual demand:
- You fix any known technical problems in your kitchen as soon as possible. Learn how to fix frequent problems yourself. Should you not be able to fix it, make adequate follow up.
- Comply with nutrition, sanitary and safety regulations. Initiate necessary action if not perfect.
- Be aware how to store, handle or cook all your ingredients in the spirit of your chef. Ask chef or study training manuals spontaneously.
- Prepare your tools to have them in good working condition and stored where you need them
- Make sure all your plates, cups etc are clean and stored ready for use where you need them
- Be aware of security issues such as risk of gaz, fire or burnings. Follow fire fighting training.
- Follow FIFO and spoilage procedures
- Practice your quality standards or new dishes whenever you have time. Innovate.
Organize your work
- Coordinate proper shifts. Never leave your kitchen without having a proper back-up. Be ready to assist when necessary and take shift even when you are not rostered. This will be compensated
- Wear correct and clean uniform and shoes
- Have daily briefing with your Chef for training, program and problem solving
- Organize work schedule depending on your expected work load
- Have your checklists, requisition forms, cost control sheets, etc ready
- Prepare your mise en place as per your daily needs, menus, specials and guests
- Be ready for quick but precise execution. Train if necessary standard is not reached
- You prepare food for a client you might not know but the client will juge you. Therefore:
- Follow strictly all procedures from your chef. Contact chef for special orders.
- Entertain good working relations with your service team. Brief daily. Make sure you receive a perfect order from your waiter. In case of doubt ask waiter and/or chef.
- Do not issue any food at all without proper KOT. If not printed by the system, the waiter must sign the KOT as well as the Chef. Manual KOTs must be reconciled with the system.
- Shout your order immediately so that all cooks can contribute to your order simultaneously
- Portion, cook as per Chef’s instruction and clients wish and garnish properly
- Check if order complete, taste, care for presentation.
- that your chef or your second checks all plates before leaving the kitchen
- Ensure that your food is served within 20 minutes for à la carte and 10 minutes for specials.
- Avoid spoilage and take care of your left overs
Safety and security
- Alert immediately the security of any unlawful people entering or any activities occurring in or around your kitchen
- Be familiar with all Emergency Procedures, be trained and know where are the fire extinguishers.
- Alert the Chef if you see anyone stealing anything from the kitchen
- Daily Closing and control
The following administrative work is required:
- Report on your day activity in your hot kitchen:
- Compare your cost of food to the sales. You must comply with the industry standards. Variances must be explained and you will take responsibility for loss
- Report on any spoilage
- Report on any unusual happening, such as theft or clients complaints
- Issue inventory of tools, utensils, plates, cups, pans, etc every Monday morning. Non explained losses will be charged to you
To perform this job successfully, you are able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily:
Able to understand clients requests quickly in English and Swahili
Have a pleasant, reliable, honest character able to handle stress situations
Be a pleasant character able to entertain clients but without losing your professional targets
Physically strong as you will have to be able to execute your work rapidly, stand and walk long hours
As a Head Cook, you are required to follow all instructions given by your supervisor and those in your job description. We expect you to show enthusiasm, loyalty and commitment in the workplace, which is for the benefit of yourself and Kijiji Beach. Please note that this job description is part of your employment contract and is therefore governed by the Laws of Tanzania.