Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Goldfields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Legal Counsel
Job Number: GGM-2019-XFA-04.
Number of Positions: 01.
Works For: Senior Legal Counsel.
A University graduate with a degree in Laws. Masters degree may constitute an added advantage.
A registered Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and subordinate courts thereto and licensed to practise to law in Tanzania.
Knowledge in legal practice in Tanzania, procedures, and principles pertaining to such practice.
Litigation, policy-making, knowledge of administrative law, corporate, environmental and mining laws, policies and regulations.
Experience in the mining or extractive industry is an added advantage.
At least 7 years of experience practicing corporate, mining, natural resources law or general aspects of law.
Proven experience in criminal prosecution or defense and civil litigation.
Strong interpersonal skills, customer-oriented mindset, excellent problems solving capacity as well as analytical and organizational skills.
Skilled in the analysis and interpretation of legal documents, instruments and policies which have or can potentially impact the business of the Company.
Ability to work independently, under minimum supervision, under pressure and deliver by meeting deadlines.
Purpose of the Role:
The successful candidate will be tasked to deal with legal and regulatory affairs of Geita Gold Mining Limited from its site as well as provision of general but timely, effective and professional legal advice in issues related to Labour and industrial relation issues, environmental, land take and acquisition, community relations, compliance matters, human rights issues, contract drafting and review as well as any matter affecting or which may potentially affect the business and which may require legal intervention or attention.
The following will form part and parcel of duties and accountabilities:
Enter appearance in the prosecution or in defense of the Company and its resources in all judicial and quasi¬judicial bodies including regulatory bodies for and on behalf of the Company
Provide active, proactive and effective oversight of all litigation matters relating to the company including maintaining accurate case reports and records
Assist Senior Legal Counsel in formulating an effective strategy for the prevention, management and resolution of disputes.
As directed by Senior Legal Counsel, advise and engage management at site in all decision making processes concerning litigation
Draft necessary documents and correspondences
In consultation with the Senior Legal Counsel /Company Secretary, Liaise with external counsel representing or handling matters for and on behalf of the Company.
2. Employment and Labour Relations
- In consultation with the Human Resources Department provide guidance, training or any related services as shall be directed by the line manager and other senior managers on labour compliance matters and advice department on general legal aspects of labour, industrial relations and other aspects of the business.
- Provide advice on relevant corporate, mining, environmental, labour standards, policies and procedures.
Main or Key
3. Regulatory and Compliance
- Attend regulatory and compliance aspects of GGM’s operations before and when they occur or materialise.
- Monitor and record legal and legislative developments affecting or which may have implication on the Company’s operations.
- Provide oversight and support on matters related to permitting and licensing and ensuring timely availability submission of statutory reports to relevant regulatory bodies.
- Prepare, update and regularly advise and sensitise site Management compliance related matters.
- Draft or review Company policies, contracts or other documents and to ensure that rights, privileged , entitlements of the Company acquired or emanating from any law, contract or engagement with third parties are protected and enforced where necessary, where infnnged.
- Analyse and identify risks potential presenting legal risks or liability relating and emanating from environmental management and which may negatively impact or expose the company into liability.
- Participate in meeting with stakeholders such as OSHA, MEM, Local Government where requested to do so by Senior Legal Counsel.
NB: Internal applicants may submit applications to departmental Senior HR Officer. All internal applications must be endorsed by the applicant’s head of department.
Mode of Application:
Application cover letter must quote the job position and Number detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees, to be forwarded to below address.
You will be required to bring original certificates if you are contacted fa interviews.
Senior Manager Human Resources,
Geita Gold Mining Ltd.
Deadline: Application letters should reach the above address on or before 9th July 2019.- 1730hrs
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com.