INTERNSHIP/VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES – TUNDURU DISTRICT – RUVUMA
The Centre for Counselling, Nutrition and Health Care (C) is an indigenous nongovernmental, non-profit organization in Tanzania established in 1998 with its offices in Dar es Salaam. COUNSENUTH is dedicated to improving the quality of lives of vulnerable groups through provision of preventive health education, counselling and nutritional services, by focusing on active community involvement.
In collaboration with the MasterCard Foundation will implement a project which will use Participatory Performance Improvement Approach (PPIA) to support selected poor performing secondary schools. The project will focus on schools with no track record of transitioning girl students from O-Level to A-Level. Along with addressing performance challenges, the project aims to integrate ways to equip girls with soft skills that will help them to unlock their potential, build their confidence and prepare them for higher education or work.
COUNSENUTH is therefore looking for Interns/volunteers who will be based in Tunduru- Ruvuma region to support the implementation of the project. The Interns/volunteers will be reporting to the project coordinator.
The ideal person will support teachers, school committee members and village leaders to take their
roles and responsibilities on managing and overseeing the activities of schools so as to enhance the
performance within the existing systems. The emphasis will be on providing support to the school committees to ensure that they mobilize the community to reflect on the major challenges regarding quality education for all, and to find practical solutions within the overall Government guidelines; The candidate will also work with the teachers and students to improve students learning and participation, build students’ capacity in life skills, including self-confidence and negotiation skills.
Roles and Responsibilities includes:
• Act as a positive student role model especially to girls
• Strengthening the link and relationship between teacher, parent and student.
• Support students’ learning and skills development
• Facilitate establishment or strengthening of school clubs
• Facilitate life skills training to empower intellectual and social abilities of students including self-worth, self-awareness and confidence, especially among girls
• Enable students to actualize social potentials and enhancing their survivals in day to day life.
• Facilitate extracurricular activities that will support performance improvement
• Participate in relevant community and school meetings, parent- teacher meetings as well as students’ gatherings.
• Support students, families and teachers to identify barriers to performance and facilitate
them to come up with do-able solutions and take appropriate actions.
• Provide progress on the implementation of the project
• Document program success, learning and best practices
• Always work to strengthen the existing system
Must be a graduate, holding a bachelor degree in, Gender, Nutrition, Community Development, IT, Computer science, Economics, Finance and Accounts or any other relevant Business and social science degree.
• Highly creative, self-motivated and role model to students especially girls.
• Passionate on students’ academic development
• Focused, stable, patient and resilient.
• Non-judgmental and trustworthy
• Committed and able to work in rural and hard to reach areas with minimum supervision.
• Professional and respects boundaries
• Able to communicate with stakeholders
• Team player and able to build a positive working relationship with students, teachers and school committees.
• Excellent in individual and group communication skills
• Ability to inspire teams (teachers, students, parents) with your knowledge and expertise in participatory processes
Mode of application:
Interested applicant should send their application by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), together with
up to date curriculum vitae (with three professional references) and copies of academic certificates not later than 05th July 2019.
The application should be addressed to:
The Executive Director,
The Centre for Counselling, Nutrition and Health Care (COUNSENUTH),
All application should be sent via EMAIL only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.