VACANCY NO. OUT2020/VC
DEPARTMENT: OFFICE OF THE VICE CHANCELLOR
RESPONSIBLE TO: THE COUNCILCHANCELLOR CHAIRMAN
WORK STATION: HQ/DSM
SALARY: AS PER OUT HRM POLICY AND PREVAILING CIRCULAR
FRINGE BENEFITS, AS SPELT OUT BY THE EXISTING REGULATION OF THE UNIVERSITY. QUALIFICATIONS:
• Background Knowledge and Skills :
• Associate Professor or Full Professor (Any Specialization).
• Outstanding Academic Qualifications, Managerial and Administrative Experience and Capability of at least (7) seven years
• Excellent Record of Scholarship, Teaching, Research and Service to the Public. .
• Extensive Knowledge and Experience of University Systems
• Extensive Experience in Universities at a Senior Management Level,
• Excellent management, communication, interpersonal, public relations and negotiation skills,
• Proven integrity with irrevocable commitment to best practices in corporate governance, with particular emphasis on integrity, accountability and transparency.
• Ability to develop and update the institutions vision and direction systematically and strategically.
• Ability to interpret and promote the University’s key mademic purposes.
• Ability to inspire and encourage new ideas and developments by motivating and supporting staff and students.
• Ability to influence, persuade and build coalitions and networks
• Age limit Sixty (CO) years,
KEY FUNCTIONS Policy and Planning
• Spearhead the continuous development and review of the Mission, Vision, Objectives
• and Policies designed to achieve academic excellence in the institution’s programmes.
• Promote an understanding of the Mission and Vision of the University.
• Coordinate the development of Policies, Plans and Programmes of OUT, based on a Strategic
• Overview of the University and its environment to enable it realise its Vision. Mobilize and procured internally and externally the resources necessary for the implementation of the University’s Strategic Plans and Programmes.
• Guide the Formulation and review of the Institutional Rolling Strategic plan, Management and Fiscal Control .
• Be the Chief Executive Officer of the University, with a general responsibility for
• maintaining and promoting efficiency, effectiveness and good governance at the University in line with the OUT Charter (2007).
• Provide executive leadership to the institution through the creation and implementation of strategic management plans.
• Direct and supervise the Senior Management Team responsible for the academic, fnandal, administrative, regional services and public relations functions of the University and ensure that each performs to the expected levels of excellence and the promotion of good order throughout the institution
• Oversee the implementation of systems designed to ensure sound management and fiscal control,
• Oversee the procurement and fair allocation of resources to various cost centres within the University.
• As the Chief Executive Officer of the Open University of Tanzania, The Vice Chancellor attends to both Council’s and Administrative Meetings and present reports on the Institutions position.
• Responsibility to the Council: Submit reports to Council and powers as conferred upon him/her from time to time by the Council based on the relevant national laws i.e. University Act No. 7 of 2005, Regulations (2006) and OUT Charter (2007),
• Responsibility to Senate: As the Chair of Senate; Reports to Senate about all decisions taken by the Vice Chancellor and directs the implement of Senale decisions.
• External Liaison: Represents the University externally in order to promote awareness and an understanding of the University’s Mission, Vision, objectives, policies and programmes, and is accountable for the entrusted University’s resources and promote linkages with external bodies/institutions (locally and internationally).
• Explicit Mission and Vision statements and policies, plans and procedures that complement the institution’s objectives.
• Clear understanding of the University’s Legal regime, functions, objectives by staff, students and the University community at large.
• Availability of adequate resources, efficient and effective allocation and utilization on the same,
• Appointment of high calibre staff and high academic and administrative standards maintained.
• Maintenance of harmonious relations between academic and non-academic units,
• departments and staff of the University.
• High standards of behaviour exhibited among staff and students.
• Quality of advice he/she provides to the Council.
• Practical, effective and acceptable recommendations to the Council and Senate and prompt implementation of decisions of the same
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
TENURE: 5 years, can be reappointed for a maximum of 2 terms subject to positive perfomance appraisal.
Job application procedure
Applications accompanied by signed up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and other relevant documents, names and addresses of three referees (including the last employer) should reach the Chairperson of the Search Committee at the address below ONE MONTH from the date of the first appearance of this advertisement in the newspaper. Applicants are further advised to ask their referees to submit reports directly to the Chairperson of the Search Committee latest ONE week after the dosing date for applications.
The Chairperson, Search Committee for the Vice Chancellor The Open University of Tanzania,
P.O.Box 23409, DAR ES SALAAM
Attn: SECRETARY TO COUNCIL