The East African Community (EAC) is the regional inter-governmental organisation of the 6 Partner States, namely the Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda, with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments. To achieve these objectives, the key building blocks are the Customs Union, Common Market, Monetary Union and ultimately the Political Federation. The EAC started a fully-fledged Customs Union in January, 2010 and implementation of the Common Market in July, 2010 while the East African Monetary Union Protocol (EAMU) was signed in November 2013 and is under implementation.
The EAMU Protocol, among others, requires the Partner States to develop and adopt common methods, concepts, definitions and classifications for compiling, analysing and disseminating the statistics necessary for the proper functioning of the Monetary Union, while observing internationally accepted best practices. To support implementation of this requirement, the EAC Secretariat has secured a grant from the World Bank to implement a 5-year Project, the EAC Statistics Development and Harmonization Regional Project (EAC/Stat-DHRP). The objective of this project is to develop the statistical capacity of the EAC Statistics Department and the National Statistical Offices (NSOs) to produce harmonized and quality statistics necessary for planning, implementing, and monitoring the EAC integration agenda.
The Secretariat therefore invites applications from highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of EAC Partner States to apply for the project position tenable at the EAC Secretariat detailed below.
Job Grade equivalent: P3
Job reports to: Head of Statistics
Job Purpose: Responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of the Project, including all substantive administrative matters and is the reference person for technical and functional matters in each work stream and is in charge of the organization of activities with the Partner States and service providers (for goods and services), and other stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate project activities, from technical, administrative and financial points of view, applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of project activities;
- Prepare annual work plans, procurement plan and training plans in line with the RSDPII and project document;
- Prepare realistic annual budget in line with the work plans and following EAC budget process guidelines;
- Be in charge of the overall project implementation (quarterly and annual work plan, procurement plan and budget), monitoring and evaluation
- Supervise the Project personnel and ensure effective communication and coordination between the Project, the EAC Secretariat, Partner States and the World Bank;
- Ensure proper professional relationships with relevant national and international partner agencies, on relevant development programmes/ projects;
- Ensure the project implementation complies with the Project Management Plan;
- Address business and technical issues, mitigate project risks and propose changes in project scope as necessary;
- Ensure timely validation of technical and functional deliverables;
- Provide Secretariat services in the meeting of the project Steering Committee and other relevant meetings;
- Responsible for project reporting; and
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned to him/her by the Head of Statistics Department from time to time.
Qualifications and experience
- Masters degree in either Statistics, Economics, or any other related field from a recognized University;
- Relevant working experience of not less than 10 years at national, regional or international level in the field of official statistics, 5 of which must be at senior management level;
- Managed a Statistics Project; and
- Knowledge of development cooperation, including grant management from development Partner will be an added advantage.
Competencies and skills
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.);knowledge in statistics software packages
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision; and
- Excellent speaking and writing in English, the working language of the East African Community.
Only applicants from EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above positions.
Terms and Conditions of Service
These are project positions supported by Donor Funds, and are non-established in the Secretariat for which contract terms are limited to the period of the project. The successful candidates will be recruited for an initial period of two (2) years and the contract may be renewed for another two (2) years, subject to project budgeting and a satisfactory performance evaluation.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 05th August 2019.
You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
Arusha – Tanzania
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190