EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY
The EAMU Protocol, among others, requires the Partner States to develop and adopt common methods, concepts, definitions and classifications for compiling, analysing and disseminating the statistics necessary for the proper functioning of the Monetary Union, while observing internationally accepted best practices. To support implementation of this requirement, the EAC Secretariat has secured a grant from the World Bank to implement a 5-year Project, the EAC Statistics Development and Harmonization Regional Project (EAC/Stat-DHRP). The objective of this project is to develop the statistical capacity of the EAC Statistics Department and the National Statistical Offices (NSOs) to produce harmonized and quality statistics necessary for planning, implementing, and monitoring the EAC integration agenda.
The Secretariat therefore invites applications from highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of EAC Partner States to apply for the project position tenable at the EAC Secretariat detailed below.
Job Grade equivalent: P1
Job reports to: Financial Management Specialist
Job Purpose: To perform efficient and effective financial administration and management of all funds of the EAC StatDHRP and other related responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Duties and responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Accountant will include:
- To manage and administer all the funds of the EAC StatDHRP in accordance with the World Bank/EAC Financial Regulations and Disbursement Guidelines for Projects in a view to ensuring a transparent and efficient financial management system for the Project;
- Manage and monitor effective maintenance of books of accounts and ensuring that all financial transactions are in line with the WB/EAC Financial regulations;
- Validate payment vouchers, cheques, local purchase orders for all transactions relating to the EAC StatDHRP as well as other relevant expenditures;
- Reconcile ledger accounts of the EAC StatDHRP and follow up on accounting for imprest given to -staff;
- Monitor and ensure that enough funds are available in the EAC StatDHRP and initiate disbursement requests through withdrawal application as and when required;
- Prepare and submit financial reports, interim financial report(IFRs)and any other Financial Reports to the Financial Management Specialist on a quarterly basis;
- Ensure full documentation of program expenditures during preparation of Withdrawal Application and IFRs;
- Maintain regular and timely accounting records and prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports;
- Prepare financial reports for accountability of the funds disbursed and analysis of accounts so decision makers receive timely and accurate information;
- Assists Core Project Teams of the EAC StatDHRP to prepare resources for budgeted for the activities when requested;
- Monitor the expenditures of the project with a view of ensuring that the amounts budgeted for, under exact expenditure head is not exceeded;
- Prepare payments and allowances for the implementation of EAC StatDHRP;
- Prepare accounting reports for EAC StatDHRP for EAC Secretariat and various development partners involved in the funding of the project;
- Maintain ledgers and implement strong internal control systems in order to facilitate timely financial reports, budget and accountabilities;
- Maintain the asset register and their depreciation schedules for the EAC StatDHRP;
- Manage credit levels for various debtors and creditors and follow-up for payments and refunds where applicable;
- Prepare documentation for direct payment for goods and services;
- Prepare and submit financial statements to the external auditors; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the project Manager/ Financial Management Specialist.
Qualifications and experience
- A bachelor’s degree from a recognized University, in either, Finance, Business Administration (Finance or accounting) ,Accounting or any other related field;
- Must have professional qualifications in Finance such as ACCA, CPA, CIMA or equivalent;
- Relevant working experience of not less than 5 years as an accountant; and
- Knowledge of grant management procedures at national, regional or international level will be an added advantage.
Competencies and skills
- Applicants should be proficient in various Computerised Financial Management Information Systems such as the Sun System Accounting Package and other computer packages;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment; and
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
Only applicants from EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above positions.
Terms and Conditions of Service
These are project positions supported by Donor Funds, and are non-established in the Secretariat for which contract terms are limited to the period of the project. The successful candidates will be recruited for an initial period of two (2) years and the contract may be renewed for another two (2) years, subject to project budgeting and a satisfactory performance evaluation.
All posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 05th August 2019.
You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
Arusha – Tanzania
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190