IT Support Assistant
Job #: req3792
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Information & Communication Technology
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): French
Closing Date: 8/16/2019 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
About the World Bank Group:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries. ITS services range from: establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions. The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group. ITS is one of three VPUs that have been brought together as the World Bank Group Integrated Services (WBGIS), to provide enhanced corporate core services and enable the institution to operate as one strategic and coordinated entity.
The IT Client Support function is primarily tasked with ensuring the cohesive delivery of regional IT programs and initiatives, as well as aligning existing support channels with business needs. In achieving its objectives and providing for a best possible IT customer experience, Client Support directs and partners with CO/HQ IT Support teams, 24/7 IT Service Desks, Training and Outreach, as well as cross-functional teams delivering products and solutions.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Experienced ET Temporary providing direct support to staff working in the Country Office.
- Works directly with customers to probe and ask effective questions to fully diagnose both the root cause of a problem and the customer’s comfort level with technology. Can assess complex, non-routine problems in their area of specialization.
- Supports and maintains the end user environment. This may include assessing, deploying, and implementing hardware and software upgrades.
- Documents, maintains and enhances work processes and standards in the area, including documenting procedures for troubleshooting and incident resolution/solution.
- Participates in facilities work and vendor management, as part of CO administrative teams. Participates in security and business continuity activities.
- Troubleshoots, provide workarounds, and permanent fixes to issues identified in the end user environment. Provides technical solutions to imaging and post-install issues.
- Supports installation, maintenance, upgrades to local networks and communications infrastructure.
- Disseminates information on common problems to department staff.
- Tracks trending of issues and escalate, as appropriate.
The E T Temporary will be the front-line contact for IT vis-a-vis staff in the office. S/he will respond to their questions and inquiries and provide requested information and assistance. S/he will support and maintain workstation software and deliver related services. S/he provides IT support, analysis, troubleshooting, and informal training on Bank-standard hardware and software. S/he will also provide basic support on IT infrastructure and networking products.
Other responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Coordinate, plan and schedule the installation and deployment of new images, software/hardware upgrades, and fixes.
- As part of the Emergency Management Team, assist in Business Continuity procedures: Verify backup systems and implement as necessary backup and restore procedure.
- Provide feedback on new software, hardware and services performance and testing.
- Document incident/problem status and resolution in tracking system (Service Now). Document solutions to common problems and respond to frequently asked questions.
- Maintain office inventory of IT related equipment and software licenses, monitoring institutional charges against that inventory.
- Collaborate with the other IT team members in support of Regional and Institutional technical initiatives.
- Provide support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community to include LAN/WAN, IP, VoIP, 3G/4G mobile devices, video conferencing and wireless environment.
- Provide direction and timely training to end users in software and network usage with an emphasis on guidelines and policies where applicable.
- Promote information security awareness and Institutional guidelines and policies for information security within the unit.
- Configure, install, and update Bank-standard hardware and software, peripheral equipment, and other desktop or portable computing devices.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot hardware, software, and network issues. Seek technical assistance or escalate issues with the appropriate group as necessary and follow-up to ensure resolution.
- Implement software or hardware changes to rectify any issues.
- Document procedures and solutions to common technical problems.
- Provide on-the-spot training to clients, promoting the effective use of technology.
- Support other team members in the scheduling and management of video conferences, webinars and conferencing events using Cisco Webex, Jabber and codec solutions.
- Provide solutions and IT support services within the Institutional standards framework and in compliance with Bank IT policies and best practices.
- Ensure that Bank information and information systems are protected in a manner consistent with Bank information security policy, procedures and standards.
- Minimum Education/Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or AA/AS degree in Computer Science with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- Preferred Education/Experience:
- Demonstrates general knowledge of hardware and software products and problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- High comfort level with IT systems including: Windows 10; Office 365; Outlook 2013; MS-Office 2010/2013; Remote Access solutions and VPN; Cisco videoconferencing codecs, Cisco Jabber, Cisco VMR and Cisco WebEx; mobile devices (iOS and Android); Service Now; Cloud solutions and collaboration tools such as OneDrive, Office 365, Microsoft Teams, and SharePoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment and across organizational boundaries, as well as to handle multiple projects, and coordinate with outside vendors.
- Past work experience in the duty station country for this advertisement or countries of the same sub-Region.
- Past work experience with IT change management, technology deployments and asset disposal work in office environments of at least 70 clients.
- High comfort level supporting mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets from both iOS and Android platforms.
- In addition to English, having fluency level language skills in French is essential given the francophone environment of the position’s location.
- Ability to prioritize workload balance conflicting demands and willingness to work extended hours in support of time-critical projects.
- A strong customer orientation and proven ability to deal with staff calmly in a high-pressured environment, including the ability to promote and facilitate cooperation within the organization and with clients.
- Good communication and presentation skills — both verbal and written.
- Highest ethical standards.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Emphasis on follow-through and accountability.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Willingness and ability to perform under periods of high client service demand and associated work stress.
- An upbeat, positive attitude and willingness to learn and help others.
- Flexibility and being able to adapt to new situations.
- Client Understanding and Advising – Makes decisions to meet the needs of the situation by considering all available resources and information and follows through on client inquiries, requests, and addressing problems.
- Learning Orientation – Stays abreast of changes in areas of technical expertise and specialized knowledge as well as what is occurring in other related specialties.
- Broad Business Thinking – Keeps informed on business operations and the relationship of delivered support/services to the business. Provides a business-based rationale for determining the necessity of incremental improvements.
- Analytical Thinking – Gathers and links data.
- Information Systems / Technologies / Product / Services Knowledge – Aware of the primary uses of technology by customers.
- Risk Management – Reduces risk by solving day-to-day problems as they arise and takes action to prevent problems from recurring.
- Service Provider Assessment and Evaluation – Records data on specified vendors’ services and products against defined requirements and provides input regarding assessments.
- Knowledge of Institutional and ITS Policies, Processes, procedures and Services – Has a basic understanding of the WBG organization, institutional and ITS policies, processes, services and procedures.
- Lead and Innovate – Initiates changes to work processes to improve efficiency and performance.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Takes full ownership to address client needs.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Contributes to wider collaborative efforts.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Actively promotes knowledge-sharing.
- Make Smart Decisions – Analyzes data to support and enable decision-making.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: 8/16/2019 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC