Position: Area Program Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Office Location: Shinyanga, Tanzania
Lifewater International (Lifewater) is a Christian water development organization dedicated to effectively serving children and families by partnering with underserved communities to overcome water poverty. Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, we serve vulnerable populations as a demonstration of God’s gracious love for all people. Lifewater serves all people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender.
Result Statement: I am responsible for producing the following result:
That vulnerable children, families and communities in the Shinyanga DC experience an improved quality of life that is marked by a sustained safe water access free from diarrhoeal diseases. I will achieve this by providing proactive, thoughtful, and accountable leadership and management of program teams, technicians and local stakeholders involved in the designing, management, monitoring and evaluation of Lifewater’s Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) program strategy in the area of operation under my jurisdiction.
Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator
Strategic Work Responsibilities
- Lead the Shinyanga Program team with passion, conviction, and in an organized, data-driven and outcomes-oriented manner.
- Participate in the recruitment, envisioning, and deploying qualified staff necessary for effective program delivery in the district(s) of assignment.
- Lead the development of a detailed implementation plan and guide implementation of the program and ensure monitoring progress towards program objectives.
- Develop strategic relationships with district-level stakeholders especially in program operation areas for purposes of leveraging their WASH activities as appropriate.
- Liaise with the LI Tanzania Country Director to develop, document, and operationalize all internal processes for program implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Serve as part of LI Tanzania Management Team to support the Tanzania Country Director in developing new plans, and assessing feasibilities of new/strategic areas of operation.
- Contribute to LI learning and ongoing improvements through knowledge sharing, tool improvement, documentation, strategic reviews and planning within LI Tanzania .
- Lead program team on annual planning and budgeting for all programs and projects in the district of assignment in line with LI planning and budgeting guidelines and timelines.
Tactical Work Responsibilities:
- Ensure the quality and integrity of implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, organization values and established deadlines
- Facilitate effective and relevant capacity building events for WASH program staffs and support them in the day-to-day implementation of projects
- Coordinate the implementation of baselines, reviews, and evaluations of the programs in close collaboration with HQ.
- Operationalize Lifewater program-level M&E system and ensure program and district-level utilization of M&E information.
- Build effective partnerships at the district-level and effectively represent Lifewater in relevant zonal forums e.g. Zonal NGO Forum.
- Prepares Service Contracts with the knowledge of the Country Office for project activities covering among other the following: vehicle rent, construction contracts, and professional fees.
- Prepare annual budgets with Area Program Management team, working through asset and program funding opportunities in alignment with strategic priorities.
- Conduct joint team reviews and planning with program staff to enhance performance.
- Conduct weekly meetings with each direct report staff to ensure that week planning and priorities are optimal.
- Provide 15/5 reports to Country Director on weekly basis.
- Facilitate 15/5 reports with reporting staff personnel on a weekly basis.
- Carry out any other tasks assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have a University degree in either Public Health, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences, -Social Work and Social Administration, Development Studies, or related field.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in community development preferably in the field of water engineering, sanitation and hygiene or public health, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social -Administration, Development Studies, or related field.
- Must have good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
- Knowledge of financial and human resource management.
- Must be able to communicate in a cross-cultural environment.