Advisor on Health Governance
As an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations, the federally owned Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its development-policy objectives.
The GIZ program “Improving Healthcare in Tanzania” is looking to fill the position of Advisor on Health Governance, in particular health facility management and use of data for planning and budgeting.
Duty station: Either Mbeya,Tanga, Lindi or Mtwara Terms of the Contract: Fixed term contract
- working closely with Ministry of Health Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and the President’s Office, Regional Administration and Local Government (PORALG),
- implementing the jointly agreed workplan and monitoring, evaluating and reporting the results
- supporting development, field testing and implementation of new tools, curricula and methods for improving the quality and use of data for management
- advising and training on the use of information, communication and technology (ICT) approaches for data use
- contribute to the development, testing and implementation of interventions to foster behaviour change on the use of data for evidence-based actions
- support scaling up of sustainable strategies to conduct basic data analysis, synthesize and visualize data, and communicate key successes
- identifying needs for support and capacity development needs of partners and develops concepts and strategies, and provides technical input on how to address identified needs
- extracting lessons learned and identifying good practices in his/her area
- participate in preparation of activities of the health governance component
- implementation of planned activities of the component in collaboration with relevant partners
- carry out training, mentoring and coaching of Council Health Management Teams (CHMTs), Facility Management Teams and Facility Governing Committees (FGCs) to improve quality of data as well as to use data for planning and routine management of the health facilities
- build capacity of facility management teams and FGCs concerning managerial and leadership skills (to improve the quality of delivered maternal and child services in the facility)
- monitoring of overall progress in the field of health governance in close consultation with the team leader and counterparts
- provides appropriate input for various programme report
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master’s degree in public administration, Service Management, Public Health or other related social science degrees
- proven training record in Monitoring and Evaluation and in statistical analysis or epidemiology
- at least 5 years practical professional experience in health service management, health project management with relevance to health services or in health administration
- demonstrated work experience in data use for planning
- proven experience with facilitation of workshops, visualization techniques, supportive supervision, moderation and mentoring
- demonstrated experience working closely and successfully with Regional Administration and Local Government Authorities, and working with communities at local levels
- previous work experience in an international agency (minimum 2 years)
- good knowledge of basic project management
- sound knowledge of the Tanzanian health system including roles and responsibilities of the different stakeholders
- good understanding of key Tanzanian health sector policy and strategies
- very good working knowledge of relevant ITC technologies (related statistical software e.g Epi info, SPSS) and computer applications (e.g. Ms. Excel, MS Office) and other planning software in health sector (e.g Planrep, FFARS)
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English, sound report writing
- excellent communication skills
- proactive, good networker and excellent teaching, facilitation and advisory skills
- ability to inspire others to learn and change Applications:
Interested candidates should send their letter of application together with the CV and copies of academic certificates by email to email@example.com
Please use the subject line “Advisor Health Governance”.
Applications in hard copy will not be accepted.
Closing date for submission: 15.09.2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
GIZ Tanzania is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from all qualified and eligible candidates regardless of their gender, origin, religion/belief, disability or any other minority group