SNV is a non-profit international development organisation established in the Netherlands in 1965. For over 50 years, SNV has been at the forefront of development, helping to build local capacity and empower local families and communities to break the cycle of poverty. We are present on the ground in 30 developing countries in Africa, Asia, Middle East and South America and operate in Agriculture & Food Security, Renewable Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Our 1,200+ advisors in the field come from a variety of cultural and technical backgrounds, and the vast majority are nationals of the countries where we work.
The overall goal of SNV’s engagement in the Renewable Energy (RE) sector in Tanzania is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban people by accelerating the dissemination and use of renewable energy products and services. SNV Tanzania is involved in three renewable energy sub-sectors: Domestic Biogas, Biomass Cooking Energy, and Solar with a variety of projects and cross-cutting initiatives.
SNV is the implementing agency for the Energising Development (EnDev) program in Tanzania. EnDev Tanzania focuses on two key project components: the development of markets and sustainable supply for improved cookstoves (ICS) as well as for small plug-and-play solar (picoPV) technology in rural and peri-urban areas in the Lake Zone, Northern Zone and throughout the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania
SNV began implementation of the EnDev program in April of 2013 with the Tanzania Improved Cook Stoves (TICS) project. TICS works to build upon existing local ICS supply chains to initiate the production, distribution and sales of clean and marketable ICS options that meet the need of rural households. The project works closely with existing stove entrepreneurs to realise improved performance, quality and marketability of cook stove options. Through regular and verifiable sales monitoring undertaken by the program, emerging ‘cook stove champions’ are identified and availed access to advanced and individualized products and services in business development, marketing and production scaling.
In the third stage of the project (Quarter 4 of 2019-2022) the project aims at expanding its geographical area in six new regions, use a Behavior Change Communication (BCC) approach to trigger demand for the JIKO MATAWI, use cash incentives for the Champions of Champions to increase their production and sales capacity and hence transform their businesses from family into small/medium/semi industrial levels, and also continue working with its core producers in 14 regions of Tanzania. SNV is seeking to recruit two advisors to consolidate and extend technical and BDS assistance throughout the EnDev country programme as a whole. The advisors will form part of the EnDev project team which is currently based in Mwanza, Dar es Salaam and Arusha, with increasing activities in the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania.
- Advisory Servises : In coordination with other SNV advisors and local service providers (LSPs), provide advisory services to increase technical and business skills of small and medium enterprises, including ICS production, business skills development, marketing and product diversification. This will be inclusive of Product Quality Control, Enterprise Coaching paired with Market Scoping-Programme Inception in the expansion of the programme to Southern highland regions of Mbeya, Ruvuma, Katavi and Rukwa Tanzania.
- Linkages of ICS Supply Chain Actors: Facilitate linkages and relations between local rural and urban improved cook stove supply chain actors (producers, distributors, retailers) to develop and validate market access of appropriate cooking technologies to target consumer markets.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification – Collaborate with MERV advisor to support timely M&E work plans delivery for regular sales data collection, producer assessment, customer verification, risk monitoring and reporting. Participate in Monitoring and Evaluation of project activities, while actively being engaged in the day-to-day implementation of programme objectives. This include but not limited to sales point monitoring and verification ultimately availing the dissemination of tailored ICS producer support packages.
- Network and Relationship Building – Build and maintain effective relationships with a). New and core producers/ stove enterprises in the project implementation areas, b). Government and local authorities
- Support BCC implementation – Work closely with BCC coordinator on Implementation of BCC in the area to generate increased Demand around the Supply Hubs using targeted messaging and communications, and a community-driven campaign led by Improved Cooking Advocates (ICAs) who enable adoption of ICS through promotion of behaviours around cooking, health, nutrition and environment.
- Gender Focus (Mainstreaming): In collaboration with SNV Gender expert to plan and execute gender mainstreaming activieis in all of the project invterventions using approved PALS
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Renewable Energy, Business Administration, Economics of Sustainable Development, Agro-economy, Rural development, etc.)[BI1]
- 2+ years of working experience in (renewable) energy sector and/or relevant programme in or outside Tanzania.
- Technical knowledge of Improved Cooking Solutions
- Proven track record in Renewable Energy project implementation; team work and leadership; programme design, development and resource mobilisation.
- Work experience in private sector business and entrepreneurship and value chain development with a proven track record in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion, gender and sustainability.
Desired Skills and attitude:
- A proactive and entrepreneurial individual who will explore and develop innovative approaches to achieve impact and results;
- Analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results;
- Strong interpersonal and influence skills and experience of working in a matrix organization;
- Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach
- Readiness to live, work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English and Kiswahili, including reporting and presentation skills
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position, Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a competitive secondary benefit package.
submit your Cover Letter, CV and Salary History on or before 8th November 2019. if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted