Position: Field Supervisor (1 Post)
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Work station: Simiyu
Apply by: October 15, 2019
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record
in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for
research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical
and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Field Supervisor to fill a vacant position in a new project called Uzazi Uzima II.
The Uzazi Uzima (“Safe Deliveries II”) is being implemented by AMREF-Tanzania, in partnership with AMREF Health Africa in Canada from 2016-2020 in Simiyu, Tanzania. The study is an expansion of BEmONC and CEmONC services at 24 selected health centres and dispensaries in Simiyu.
As a part of the Canadian government’s initiative to improve accountability for its maternal and child
health investments, the Institute for International Programs (IIP) at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg
School of Public Health (JHU) is putting in place rigorous tools to evaluate maternal, neonatal, and child health programs.
This project will evaluate the implementation strength and quality of care of AMREF-Tanzania’s Uzazi Uzima project and develop new methods to assess quality of care. The Field supervisor will supervise all field activities at the study areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Introduce the field team to the district authorities, health facilities in-charges where necessary.
- Ensure each team has well-functioning kits.
- Review all data compiled every day by whole teams for quality assurance.
- Inform the Project leader of any problems as soon as possible.
- Report to project leader about progress of activities evening of each working day.
- Conduct meeting with teams for feedback and way forward.
- Collect information to ensure protection, rights, safety and well-being of the study participants.
- To ensure the study is done according to the research ethical guidelines.
- To ensure that participant’s privacy and confidentiality are maintained.
- To ensure the availability and safety of necessary equipment for data collection for all the teams .
- Retain high level of public and community support and trust, e.g. in relation to research ethics and effective communication.
- Respond to queries, concerns and issues raised by the coordinator/Project Leader /Principal
- Undertake any other tasks that the Coordinator /Project Leader/Principal
- Investigator/Investigators shall reasonably require from time to time.
Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in nursing from any recognized institution, registered.
- Field research experience will be added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to use compute for data entry.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision but also within a team;
- Good/Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent attention to details;
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Accountability, Respect, Integrity and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment
of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together
with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell
phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The
deadline for this application is 1700hrs, October 15 2019.
All e-mail application subject line should read: FIELD SUPERVISOR.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam