The Country Director (CD) has the overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and direction for the Room to Read country program to achieve the organizational vision, mission, and objectives. The Country Director leads the in-country senior management team and is responsible for all programmatic and operational aspects of the programs. The CD represents Room to Read with government at all levels and with local and international organizations within country. The CD leads in developing and overseeing implementation, reviewing and monitoring results of the country program goals, objectives and targets, and maintaining program fidelity, cost efficiency and effectiveness. The CD embodies the core values of Room to Read. Travel to all districts where Room to Read works will be required as needed. This position is based in Tanzania and reports directly to the Africa Regional Director.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Program Development, Implementation and Management
- Provide leadership for the development, management, and implementation of all program activities in line with the overall Room to Read strategic plan and country context;
- Direct the Country Management Team (CMT) and supervise staff providing them with the necessary assistance to ensure that program activities are carried out in accordance with Room to Read requirements ensuring programs are implemented on time, on budget, and done with quality outcomes;
- Develop and maintain consistent, clear and timely communications among the country office and with global colleagues;
- Manage reporting on country-related activities including those of any implementing partners to internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop strategies and action plans that address organizational priorities through conducting strategic and operational planning exercises;
- Cooperate with relevant in-country and Global Office staff to strengthen and improve program impact, scale readiness and sustainability;
- Effectively implement monitoring and review systems to ensure delivery against plans;
- Visit partner, field offices and project sites on a regular basis to support field staff and field operations; engage with local school and community leaders; and maintain clear visibility and knowledge of operational challenges and successes;
- Financial and Resource Management, Compliance and Control
- Provide oversight to financial and administrative functions in the Country Office ensuring full compliance with Room to Read policies and donor regulations;
- Oversee the development and implementation of the annual country budget in accordance with the mission and vision of Room to Read;
- Ensure adequate internal controls are established and followed per Room to Read policies and donor regulations;
- Ensure systematic budget monitoring is conducted;
- Ensure effective grant management systems are in place for accurate, on-time reporting and compliance with donor conditionality and requirements;
- Ensure legal compliance in all areas including taxation, employment law, insurance, contracts and other Room to Read requirements.
- People Operations Management and Organizational Development
- Provide management expertise and leadership to a technically diverse team and create a work environment that promotes high performing teams;
- Oversee timely recruitment and on-boarding of staff;
- Conduct staff appraisals to ensure high quality performance, identify capacity building needs of staff, and ensure the appropriate support is provided;
- Conduct regularly scheduled CMT and All-Staff meetings to assess organizational progress;
- Promote behaviors and ways of working aligned with Room to Read’s core values, mission and vision.
- Representation and External Relations
- Develop and manage relationships with Room to Read Tanzania stakeholders and partners, peer organizations, government agencies and educational facilities and authorities;
- Represent Room to Read in-country within the education and development community, attending events as necessary and ensuring Room to Read’s strong reputation;
- In close coordination with Global Office, represent Room to Read at relevant donor meetings and assist in planning and hosting donor visits.
- Security and Risk Management
- Oversee safety and security protocols and ensure program and office operations take into account local safety and security considerations;
- Maintain appropriate contingency plans for emergencies;
- Ensure all staff understands and complies with established policies.
- Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration/Management/Education;
- A minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience, with a minimum of 7 years in a senior management capacity (preferably in INGO sector);
- A management style that is outcome-oriented, and flexible, which respects the capabilities and independence of staff, while providing them with a clear sense of direction and enabling their success;
- Excellent interpersonal skills – a capacity to listen well and inspire trust;
- Ability to communicate, negotiate and maintain relations with all stakeholders;
- Strong planning, supervising and program development skills;
- Demonstrated track record of building and motivating highly effective teams;
- Ability to travel frequently to provinces throughout the country;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Proven track record of achieving results;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative;
- Experience in developing and/or implementing large-scale literacy, girls education, or other community development initiatives.
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits; benefits includes 13th month bonus, provident fund, accidental and health insurances for staff and their family; paid time off and staff professional development. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing, transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Tanzania – Main – Dar Es Salaam
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled