The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union Commission (AUC) intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of its organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The African Union Commission invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the position of Finance and Administrative Officer within the Directorate of Programming, Budget, Finance and Accounting (PBFA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Title: Finance and Administrative Officer
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator, CIEFFA
Department: Directorate of Programming, Budget, Finance and Accounting (PBFA)
Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Number of Positions: 01
i. Manage a complete financial and administrative functions of the Office which would include a number of different and diverse operations and inter-related accounts of the financial system;
ii. Participate in planning and budgeting to ensure allocation of expenditure to the appropriate fund and monitor proper budget utilization to ascertain that budget appropriations are not overspent.
iii. Process and verify all suppliers’ payments and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate; Coordinate procurement process that would ensure the CIEFFA receives quality and efficient services in line with AU rules and procedures.
iv. Maintain banking, payroll and cash flow systems that is efficient and responsive, as well as preparing monthly bank reconciliations;
v. Process monthly payroll and related staff emoluments, ensuring that the CIEFFA complies with all applicable human resource, labor, employment equity and payroll laws, policies and procedures;
vi. Maintain updated personnel data (staff contract, leave management and up-to-date personnel information;
vii. Implement administrative policies, and procedures that lead to efficient service delivery to the CIEFFA;
viii. Prepare Financial Reports / Statements for consideration of the AU Headquarters and Donors as well as the certification of general expenditures.
ix. Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately
x. Perform any other financial related duties as may be assigned by supervisors
Competencies and Commitments
The incumbent will be expected to:
- Actively promote customer care, value for money and performance management in own role; • Demonstrate a whole hearted commitment to the organizational values and culture;
- Positively promote and represent African Union Commission;
- Promote an environment of continuous learning, development and improvement;
- Consistently promote and apply quality and diversity, in line with African Union Rules, Regulations, Policies and Procedures and ensure that this is demonstrated and maintained throughout all areas of responsibility; and
- Be aware of, and observe fully and promote, African Union policies relating to health and safety and risk management and best practice, throughout all areas of responsibility.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) would be an added advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills, ability to organize and motivate others as well as work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent Financial and accounting reporting skills;
- Good communication and negotiating skills;
- Computer literacy and experience in working with computerized accounting systems standard spreadsheet, database programs. Knowledge of SAP would be an added advantage.
- Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills;
Qualifications and Work Experience
A Bachelor’s University Degree in Financial Management, Accounting or Business Administration with a minimum of three (3) years of progressively financial management working experience including accounting, administration and human resources management; experience working with international organizations is an added advantage.
University Diploma in Financial Management, Accounting or Business Administration with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively financial management working experience including accounting, administration and human resources management; experience working with international organizations is an added advantage.
Professional certifications such as CPA, CA, ACCA, CIMA, CIA, etc. would be an added advantage.
Language Requirement: Applicants must be proficient in English or French. Advanced Knowledge of one more or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
The Appointment will be made on a regular term contract, in the first instance on a fixed-term contract for a period of three (3) years, the first twelve (12) months of which shall be considered probationary period and thereafter for renewable periods every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
Least Represented Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries within the AU are encouraged to apply: Algeria, South Africa, Morocco, Angola, Ghana, Congo (DRC), Equatorial Guinea, South Sudan, Namibia, Mali, Madagascar, Guinea-Conakry, Cape Verde, Central African Rep., Seychelles, Somalia, Guinea Bissau, Saharawi Arab D.R., Comoros, Sao Tome and Principe. Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: