Job Title: Policy and Planning Advisor
BACKGROUND: Options Consultancy Services was established in 1992 as a wholly owned subsidiary of the international social business, Marie Stopes International. Our initial work centred around providing technical expertise, programme design monitoring and evaluation support to DFID as the Resource Centre in Population and Reproductive Health. Improving access to reproductive and maternal health services remains a core area of our work.
The Millennium Development Goals placed a strong emphasis on maternal and child health, and improving the health of women and girls has remained central to Options’ mission. Our work has grown to encompass expertise across the health sector in order to build effective and equitable health systems.Since 1992, Options has worked in more than 50 countries, and has been responsible for launching a number of high profile programmes, most recently the Girl Generation and MamaYe! programmes. We lead and manage numerous health sector programmes on behalf of international donors, in particular UK Aid (DFID), KfW, the World Bank and foundations. Structure Our programmes operate through programme offices including in India, Tanzania, Sierra Leone, Nepal, Malawi, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Mozambique and Kenya.
Our head office is in St Katharine Docks in central London.Options UK was launched in 2006, conducting high quality public health research, insight and analysis for health and social care organisations across the UK.In 2015 we set up a non-profit subsidiary, Options for International Health, to pursue new avenues for our work to transform the health of women and children.GovernanceOptions is a private limited company, wholly owned by Marie Stopes International (MSI). Our surpluses are given as Gift Aid to MSI and make a significant contribution to MSI’s mission of children by choice, not chance.Options’ Board of Directors sets the objectives and strategic direction of the company. Simon Cooke, CEO of MSI is chair of the Board. Other Board members are Phillip D Harvey, Timothy W Rutter and Jo Elms.
We’re seeking an experienced individual, who will be successfully leading on policy and planning to our team in Tanzania of the UK-Aid funded Women’s Integrated Sexual Health (WISH2ACTION) programme. He/She will implement relevant policies to ensure access to high quality of SHRR/FP to the team and consultants based in Tanzania, and enable us to achieve above and beyond key performance indicators.
The Policy and Planning Advisor will be responsible for implementing policies that ensure access to high quality SRH/FP for all and securing government commitments through evidence based planning and resource flow for human resources, commodities and service provision. The Advisor will work closely with the National Ownership Lead and Evidence and Accountability Advisor in Tanzania as well as the Regional Policy and Planning Specialist in Nairobi, Options’ staff in London, and consortium partners in Tanzania to ensure policy and planning approaches strategically strengthen government stewardship over SRH/FP in Tanzania.
- At least an Undergraduate degree in public health, health management or related field.
- At least ten years’ work experience, with significant experience in the provision of technical assistance including remote support.
- Strong experience on the development and roll-out of health policies;
- Strong experience in facilitating evidence based planning and budgeting processes to track progress on health indicators and commitments;
- Solid understanding of the health sector, including the relationship between national and sub-national levels and engagement with civil society, parliamentarians and regional health groups.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
How to apply:
- To apply, please send your CV with a summary note of your skills and experience to Michael Cavanagh email@example.com. Candidates should state the role (Tanzania-P&P – WISH2ACTION) in the subject header.
- Closing date 10th May: Please note that the closing date for this vacancy is for guidance only. Applications will be screened upon receipt and this vacancy may be closed as soon as sufficient applicants have been received
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview. Interviews may be organised directly with shortlisted applicants on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the closing date.
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including identification check, employment references, right to work verification, credit check and criminal record check (where appropriate).