The University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) works around the world to enhance capacity of governments, Regional and District Health Management Teams to improve quality of health services through targeted technical assistance, systems development & strengthening, and institutionalization of quality improvement initiatives. In Tanzania UMB works through its affiliate, Maryland Global Initiatives Tanzania (MGIT) a nonprofit organization, works with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC). MGIT conducts activities in Dar es Salaam, Tanga, Simiyu, Shinyanga, Mwanza, Mara, Kigoma, Kagera, Tanga and Coast
MGIT receives funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to provide Targeted Technical Assistance to Local Clinical Partners (LCIP) and Regional Health Management Teams (RHMTs) for Implementation of Comprehensive HIV Care, Treatment, and Support programs in the United Republic of Tanzania.
MGIT is looking for a qualified Professional Driver, and a Procurement Officer to fill the open positions, hence supporting its work in the country.
Position Driver (1 Posts)
Location Dar es Salaam/Mwanza
Reporting Head Driver
The incumbent will support the town errands and field work activities, while strictly observing Tanzania traffic guidance and MGIT policies and regulations related to the usage of vehicles. The incumbent will also facilitate planned maintenance, routine vehicle services and minor repairs to the vehicle assigned to.
Duties and responsibilities.
- To manage and drive MGIT vehicle to which s/he is assigned to in accordance to Tanzania laws and MGIT policy and as specified by supervisor.
- To inspect the vehicle before and after a journey to ensure that it is in a good condition in order to minimize wear and tear of the vehicle.
- To timely prepare and submit vehicle performance reports after each journey.
- To ensure that all vehicle movements are recorded in the vehicle log-sheets and that the vehicle is used for authorized purposes only.
- Maintain drivability of vehicles, and supplies of all essential equipment of the vehicle.
- To identify vehicle faults, promptly report to the supervisor and advise on appropriate repairs and services as necessary.
- Schedule regular vehicle inspection and servicing strictly according to manufacturer’s recommendations or better.
- To verify records of all work done on each vehicle and on the respective job cards.
- Interact with visitors in a manner that is representative of MGIT.
- To carry out any other office activities as assigned by supervisor including errands to the banks, the airport and the post office
Qualification & Skills
- Secondary school education.
- Advanced Driver’s Certificate Grade Two from the National Institute of Transport (NIT) or Vocational Education Training Authority (VETA).
- Advanced Driver’s Certificate Grade One from the National Institute of Transport (NIT) or Vocational Education Training Authority (VETA) as an added advantage.
- Certificate of Motor Vehicle Mechanics Grade II as an added advantage.
- Valid and accident-free Class C Tanzania Driver’s License.
- At least three years’ work experience in vehicle driving and mechanics in an international NGOs or similar organizations.
- Ability to speak and write in both English and Kiswahili.
- Good inter-personal skills.
Join our diverse workforce and help us make a difference in our community and the world. The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any part of the employment process, please contact us by phone at 410-706-2606 or email at HRJobs@umaryland.eduand let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.