The role holder will be responsible for assessing risks in accordance with laid down underwriting procedures in the company and ensure effective and efficient service delivery to customers. The role will report to the Branch Manager.
- Review all applications for insurance –determine the profiles of risks presented to the company for insurance and assess their acceptability or otherwise.
- Ensure all related activities to underwriting are properly coordinated and enforced
- Prepare certificates and cover notes where necessary
- Preparing policy documents, debit & credit notes & endorsements and authorizing them within authority limits
- Ensuring premiums are settled as per company policy
- Assess the loss ratios and ensuring that only quality business in invited for renewal
- Reviewing renewal terms, ensuring renewal notices go out on time and following up renewals to ensure high retention rate
- Ensure timely preparation and dispatch of policy documents
- Review of suspense items and follow up on outstanding requirements with a view to reconciling them on time
- Timely processing of quotations and tender documents, credits and refunds.
- Maintain high standard level of customer service – responding to general underwriting enquiries (walk-in clients, telephone and emails)
- Liaise with intermediaries and direct clients on issues relating to their policies
- Implement credit control policy and ensure that premiums are debited and collected as required
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Deliver on performance requirements as defined in the departments’ strategy map, balanced scorecard and Personal Scorecard.
- Renewal retention
- Document turnaround time
- Gross loss
- Compliance rate
- Accountable to the Branch Manager
- Required to liaise and work closely with the other departments as may be necessary
- Britam customers
- Insurance sector players
- Bachelor’s degree (Insurance & Actuarial Science options preferred)
- Professional qualification in Insurance (Certificate CII).
- Two to four years’ experience in the insurance industry.
- Experience in customer, market and competitor understanding.
- Knowledge of Insurance regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of Britam products.
- Learning and Researching: Rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information; gathers comprehensive information to support decision making at management level; learns from successes and failures and seeks colleague and customer feedback.
- Working with People: Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Applying Expertise and Technology: Applies specialist and technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations: Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; exhibits high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains own quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
- Following Instructions and Procedures: Follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates commitment to the organisation; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
- Adhering to Principles and Values: Upholds ethics and values; demonstrates integrity; accepts diversity; display individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions.
Job Posting: 27-05-2019
Deadline Date: 07-06-2019