Monitoring Evaluation & Learning Manager
MONITORING EVALUATION & LEARNING MANAGER REF.NO. HTZ MEL 01-2019
The MEL Manager will work with the project team led by the Country Manager and including one Business Relationship Officer, and will be responsible both for leading on MEL activities for the project, and for leading on the research component of the project, in close collaboration with the project partners
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
Experience Level: Management level
Experience Length: 3 years
The MEL Manager will work with the project team led by the Country Manager and including one Business Relationship Officer, and will be responsible both for leading on MEL activities for the project, and for leading on the research component of the project, in close collaboration with the project partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and develop a high quality, best-practice MEL framework for the research project Making Change Together with international partners – this includes the review of the programmatic Theory of Change and log frame; the development of a MEL strategy, MEL plan, data collection tools for quantitative and qualitative data collection, data management plan and Knowledge Management plan. More specifically:
- Work with colleagues in Kenya, UK and USA to develop a detailed MEL strategy for the research project (gender-related).
- Responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the MEL framework and strategy in Tanzania.
- Quality assurance with internationally based colleagues on the MEL framework.
- Provide regular reports to the project’s Country Manager, technical advisors and donors on progress on indicators of the program.
- Ensure that the MEL framework and approach is gender sensitive and uses the latest research on MEL approaches integrated into the model.
- Advise the HIHEA (TZ) Country Manager and support the development of the country wide MEL system and approach.
- Review and audit existing data collection, analyses and reporting systems and advise on improvements both for the system and for training staff.
- Quality assures data flow processes.
- Monitor the quality, reliability and relevance of data collected and analyzed.
- Ensure quantitative and qualitative data collection and analyses processes are in line with best practice standards.
- Ensure data security protocols are reviewed.
- Generate insights from the MEL data produced and share in a timely and accessible manner to stakeholders.
- Keep up-to-date with emerging and trending best practice in processes and tools for MEL, including evaluations of similar programs.
- Benchmark our evidence, results and strengths against likeminded NGOs within the wider policy environment.
- Develop a robust accountability system that ensures that people’s voices, feedback and complaints are heard and responded to.
- Ensure that we have high quality contextual local information that informs program development.
- Work with the Country Manager to ensure the delivery of a high quality research program aligned and adapted to local context which generates new insights and learning.
- Ensure that the MEL framework is gender sensitive and aligned with best-practice standards on Safeguarding.
- University degree preferably in Project Management., Economics Business Administration, Community Development, or similar social sciences.
- Professional qualification in Monitoring and Evaluation will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the INGO sector with a focus on MEL
- Strong experience of working with research partners
- Strong experience of working with internationally based teams
- Strong experience in managing or conducting project evaluations and quality assurance of evaluations.
- Experience with community-based implementation approaches, with familiarity of relevant concepts to Hand in Hand, including socio-economic empowerment, gender equality, financial inclusion, rural/agricultural development, food security, or similar.
- Strong experience in analysing data and using statistical software.
- Preferably experience in delivering or facilitating training.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Excellent project management skills with ability to lead and drive work streams from initiation to completion.
- Self-starter with an excellent ability to work autonomously to identify and serve needs with minimal supervision.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to establish, build and maintain effective working relationships and affect behavior/attitudinal change with network staff and suppliers to embed thinking and approaches across the organization.
- Ability to consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Excellent knowledge of the Tanzanian context.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in written and spoken Swahili.
- Understanding of other local languages, a plus.
APPLY before close of business by 30th June, 2019.