Job Title: Partnerships Development Manager
Location: Dar es Salaam,Tanzania
Special Requirements: Right to work in Tanzania
Reports to: Country Director, Tanzania
Contract: 18 months, with the possibility of extension
Salary: Highly competitive within Tanzanian NGO market rates
Closing date: 20th August 2019
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate cover letter will not be considered. These are local posts applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania and national terms and conditions will apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
BBC Media Action in Tanzania
BBC Media Action, the BBC’s international development charity, uses the power of media and communication to support people to shape their own lives. Working with broadcasters, governments, other organisations and donors, BBC Media Action provides information and stimulates positive change in the areas of governance, health, and resilience and humanitarian response. This broad reach helps to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
We deliver a portfolio of media projects in Tanzania. We work to ensure that our projects are delivered on time to the highest possible standard in accordance with BBC editorial values and BBC Media Action best practice.
Overview of the role
You will sustain and grow the Tanzanian office relationship with broadcasters and media-development / media-for-development partners including CSOs, NGOs, social enterprises, and relevant government bodies such as the TCRA. The Partnerships Development Manager will also manage Media Action’s capacity-building team, ensuring programme activities are on time and on budget, reflect BBC editorial values and make a measurable difference to the professional capacity of the individuals, teams and organisations we work with.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Maintain existing, and develop new, relationships with broadcast partners across Tanzania in close coordination with the Projects and Production teams and BBC World Service Business Development team in Nairobi. Maintain a database of such existing and potential partnerships and the records of all associated formal paperwork.
- Maintain existing, and develop new, relationships with development partners, NGOs, CSOs, social enterprises and government bodies with an interest in the development of the media and/or media-for-development sector in Tanzania. Where relevant, coordinate BBC Media Action’s work with these actors to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the sector.
- Oversee and represent all capacity-building activities to ensure they are delivered on time, on budget and fit for purpose. Line-manage the senior members of the capacity-building team and, with the active participation of all mentors, develop and implement a strategy for the capacity-building activities of Media Action in Tanzania. Coordinate actively with all other departments to ensure that capacity-building activities support, and are supported by, all other elements of the organisation’s work and projects.
- Ensure the timely distribution of BBC Media Action’s content to relevant broadcast partners and develop and implement a system to monitor the broadcasts.
- Regularly update SMT on emerging opportunities for media, communication and development partnerships and advise on strategic direction in this area in Tanzania.
Skills, knowledge and experience requirements:
- Proven ability to forge effective and trusted working relationships with media-house managers, editors, NGOs and CSO, and government staff.
- Proven track-record of working with media and communications to achieve development goals with a focus on capacity-building and content production and an understanding of formative, audience and impact research.
- Proven track record of effective senior management in a development context, preferably in Tanzania and within the CSO and/or media sector.
- Experience of directly managing teams of at least four staff.
- Strong financial management skills, with proven experience of managing budgets of over £250,000 per year, including accurate and timely financial reporting to donors.
- Demonstrable creative ability, with a proven track-record in project design development and implementation.
- Proven ability to work independently and organise time effectively within a range of conflicting deadlines.
- Proven ability to juggle competing priorities and a busy programme of work while working to an agreed strategy.
- Previous experience of being a key part of teams writing successful international development proposals.
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken Kiswahili and English.
- Practical knowledge of the BBC’s values and willingness to apply them with a track record of working with these to design and develop media-development and/or media-for-development projects.
- Right to work in Tanzania
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of regional and international current affairs.
- Experience of working in one-or-more of these development sectors: governance, health, resilience and humanitarian assistance.
- Existing relationships with media-development and/or media-for-development organisations, and relevant Tanzanian government ministries.
- Experience of working in, or with, networks of organisations.
Candidates should send their CV and a cover letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position applied for in the subject line before 5pm on Tuesday 20th August 2019.