Project Zawadi’s mission is to partner with communities, schools, and teachers to support quality education for Tanzanian children and youth.
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
Experience Level: Management level
Experience Length: 2 years
Job Title: Model Schools Director
Job Description: Project Zawadi’s mission is to partner with communities, schools, and teachers to support quality education for Tanzanian children and youth. Project Zawadi (PZ) is a small non-profit organization that provides support via three programs: Student Sponsorship, School Support (Model Schools), and Teacher Training (Tenda Teachers).
The Model Schools Director will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Model Schools program. This program currently partners with four rural government primary schools to address various needs, including strategic planning, infrastructure (construction) projects, model farms, teacher professional development, leadership training, and student support (via student clubs, life skills, and career counseling).These needs and how to meet them are identified in five-year strategic plans developed for each school via a participatory, community-based process involving teachers, school administrators, parents, village elders, and students. Additional schools are anticipated to be added to the program in the upcoming years. Work is done primarily in the area around Nyamuswa Village, Bunda District, Mara Region but may require travel in Tanzania.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide effective leadership for our model school team and create and maintain a complete and integrated work plan for our model school program.
- Partner with schools/communities to facilitate the participatory process that will implement, monitor, and update the vision of a model school identified in the five-year plans via concrete action steps.
- Facilitate the development of plans for future additional model schools.
- Manage and coordinate with key school and community stakeholders (e.g. head teachers, village chairs, task forces, school committees, and parents).
- Build, develop, and manage an effective network of Project Zawadi partner organizations.
- Create project budgets, monitor expenses, and collect appropriate reporting documentation.
- Report details of all activities to organizational leadership (e.g. Executive Director, Model School Committee, and other Board Members) via a web-based application, written reports and phone calls.
- Effectively collaborate with the directors and staff of the Sponsorship and Tenda Teachers programs.
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned
- Strong oral and written communication skills in both English and Swahili and ability to engage in empathic communication
- Professional behavior with integrity and flexibility as job changes and grows.
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to manage priorities for multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to delegate tasks and supervise subordinates in order to create an effective and cohesive team.
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Solid computer and social media skills with fluency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Budgeting, financial, and project management skills
Qualifications for the Job:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field or comparable work experience is required.
- Experience with community participatory planning and organizing, public meeting facilitation, programmatic evaluations, gender equity programs, and public speaking is a plus. Special consideration will be given to candidates who have experience as a teacher, head of a school, or educational administrator and have lived or worked in the Mara region
Project Zawadi is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, race, religion, gender, age, disability, or marital status.
How to Apply
Please manually apply for this job using the details below:
Applicants should send one email with one attachment to email@example.com
The subject line of the email should be “Model Schools Application” and the attachment should contain:
1)a cover letter (including salary history/requirement). Applicants should state in the cover letter why they want this job and how their teaching, administrative, and life experiences have prepared them for this job; and
2) a curriculum vita (CV). No need to send certificates, diplomas and degrees. Those will be requested if you are interviewed. Applications will be accepted until Sep 23, 2019